This recipe for ᎢᏯ (i-ya) Pumpkin Soup is loaded with your daily intake of protein, potassium, calcium, vitamin D and iron, is quick and fool-proof to prepare, easy on the wallet, and full of flavor. If you want, you can also throw some pumpkin seeds on top as a garnish, or add a side salad with a slice of adobe bread to make it a meal.Perhaps one of the best things about preparing pumpkin is that you can whip together a delicious, comforting soup in no time and it tastes like you spent hours preparing it! (Our secret-we use pumpkin straight out of the can.)Give this simple recipe a try for a weekend or weekday treat, it's sure to satisfy and bring a little out-of-the-ordinary to your daily routine.
- 1 1 lb 13 oz can water-packed pumpkin puree
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or light brown sugar
- ½ tsp powdered marjoram
- dash ground pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mace
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 orange juiced
- Heat pumpkin puree, milk, butter, and honey together slowly in a large saucepan, stirring.
- Combine maple sugar, marjoram, pepper, cinnamon, mace, and salt. Stir in pumpkin-milk mixture. Heat slowly, stirring to a simmering point. Do not boil.
- Add the orange juice, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Serve hot.
Amount per serving --- calories 215 total fat 7.7g 10% saturated fat 4.7g 23% cholesterol 24mg 8% sodium 500mg 22% total carbohydrates 38.2g 12% dietary fiber 4.5g 16% total sugars 23.8g protein 7.2g --- vitamin D 3mcg 17% calcium 240mg 18% iron 2mg 14% potassium 466mg 10%