Wasna (Corn Cake)
There’s nothing quite like the smell of corn cakes cooking in the fall air! But no matter the season, you can always enjoy these sweet, delicious cakes year-round.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup stone ground yellow or blue cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ vegetable oil
- 1 large egg or 2 large egg whites
- Coat a large griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with a fork and make a well in the center.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk, honey, oil, and egg. Pour mixture into center of dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Pour ¼ cup batter onto griddle for each corn cake. Cook 2 minutes per side, until puffed up, golden brown and cooked through.
Amount per serving --- calories 212 total fat 5.7g 7% saturated fat 0.7g 4% cholesterol 17mg 6% sodium 112mg 5% total carbohydrates 35.5g 13% dietary fiber 1.1g 4% total sugars 6.6g protein 4.6g --- vitamin D 2mcg 8% calcium 61mg 5% iron 2mg 10% potassium 143mg 3%