Wild Green Salad with Black Walnuts
© by Lois Ellen Frank, Ph.D. 2021Harvesting wild greens in the Spring and Summer months ... is something I love to do. We have wild watercress greens that grow along some of our small creeks and waterways. We also have wild spinach. This green grows everywhere and is abundant on the land that surrounds my house. I harvest this all the time before it goes to seed and gets bitter. As with any wild harvesting make sure you are certain of the plant you are harvesting and always wash the greens completely before serving. If you cannot get wild greens or do not know how to harvest them, see what fresh salad greens your local farmer’s market has and serve those for this salad. And microgreens add nutrients and flavor that complement this salad, see what is available in your area. The greens and the sprouts will also work perfectly for this salad.
- 6 cups hand harvested wild salad greens (or any local baby salad greens)
- 1/2 cup sunflower, radish, or micro green sprouts optional
- 3/4 cup black walnuts toasted, chopped
- 6 tbsp agave syrup
- 3 tsp red chili powder mild
- 1/2 cup lime juice freshly squeezed, approx. 6 limes
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard the smooth kind
- 1/2 tsp salt kosher
- 1 pinch black pepper freshly ground
- 2/3 cup raisins optional, dark or golden
- 2 fuji apples optional, finely sliced
- In a medium-sized salad bowl, place the salad greens, raisins, and sliced apples and gently toss together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the agave, chili powder, fresh lime juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Mix together well, with a whisk, until all of the ingredients are completely mixed together.
- Pour the salad dressing over the greens and toss well. Top the salad with the chopped nuts and the sprouts. Drizzle a little of the dressing around the greens and serve immediately.
Amount per serving --- calories 292 total fat 10g 13% saturated fat 0.6g 3% cholesterol 0mg 0% sodium 353mg 15% total carbohydrates 52.7g 19% dietary fiber 7.1g 25% total sugars 18.9g protein 6.4g --- calcium 114mg 9% iron 5mg 26% potassium 418mg 9%