© by Lois Ellen Frank, Ph.D. 2021Dark leafy greens are one of the healthiest things to eat. They are considered a super food as they extend excellent health benefits including lowering cholesterol, fighting cancer, and decreasing inflammation. According to nutritionists Collard Greens, Chard, and Lacinato Kale are all extremely nutrient-rich, providing ample amounts of vitamins including Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. Rachel Lustgarten, a dietician specializing in nutrition at Weill Cornell Medicine tells Prevention.com "Health benefits of collards include lowered cancer risk and improved heart health." These greens are so high in nutrients and very low in calories, making them one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. This recipe is an easy way to get the nutrients found in these greens.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 bunches fresh, local greens (collard greens, rainbow chard, or lacinato kale) stems removed and chopped, leaves cut into strips
- 2 tbsp blackened garlic finely chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- In a cast iron or heavy-duty sauté pan, over medium to high heat sunflower oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add the greens and the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly with tongs until cooked.
- Add the water, stir together and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately as a starter vegetables course or a side dish.
Amount per serving --- calories 78 total fat 3.5g 5% saturated fat 0.3g 2% cholesterol 0mg 0% sodium 76mg 3% total carbohydrates 10.1g 4% dietary fiber 1.3g 5% total sugars 0g protein 2.8g --- calcium 121mg 9% iron 1mg 8% potassium 428mg 9%