Hominy And Chicken Stew (Also Known As Chicken Pozole)
This stew is a hearty, nutrient-packed meal in itself that is full of flavor and low in calories. Pozole is a traditional, delicious Mexican stew that is often served on festive occasions, so it’s perfect to bring to a tailgate, birthday, celebration, or any kind of family get-together. If you have guests who cannot tolerate spicy heat, we recommend de-seeding the poblanos and the jalapenos. (Remember to use some disposable, plastic gloves while doing this and of course, try not to touch your face!)You can also serve Hominy and Chicken Stew with Blue Corn Tortillas to complete your meal.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 lb tomatillos husked and halved
- 1 small white onion quartered
- 2 poblano chilis chopped
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ cup cilantro chopped, stems & leaves
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cans hominy drained
- red radishes sliced for garnish
- avocado sliced for serving
- lime wedges sliced for serving
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the chicken pieces, tomatillos, onion, poblanos and jalapenos, oregano, and salt. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes until tender.
- Carefully remove chicken from pot and shred the meat, discarding any bones and skin. Skim fat from the cooking liquid and reserve.
- Place a large fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and strain the broth through it. You could also use a spaghetti strainer and pour into a bigger pot. Set aside.
- Transfer the solids to a blender. Add garlic cloves, cilantro, and 1 cup of the broth and puree until it reaches your desired smoothness. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return Dutch oven to stovetop, setting it over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the skimmed fat to the pot and allow to cook and sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tomatillo puree to the pot and stir, being careful not to get splattered with the hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium. Add the stock and stir to combine, then stir in the shredded chicken and drained hominy. Cook for 10 minutes until warmed through, seasoning with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the pozole garnished with cilantro, sliced radishes and jalapeno, avocado, and lime wedges.
For a milder version of this soup, remove the seeds from the jalapeno and poblano peppers. --- Amount per serving --- calories 368 total fat 15.2g 19% saturated fat 3.6g 18 % cholesterol 101mg 34% sodium 868mg 38% total carbohydrates 21.7g 8% dietary fiber 5.8g 21% total sugars 3.4g protein 32.2g --- calcium 63mg 5% iron 3mg 16% potassium 660mg 14%