Garden Vegetable Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups leeks chopped, white parts only
- 2 tbsp garlic finely minced
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 cups carrots peeled, chopped into rounds
- 2 cups potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 cups green beans fresh, broken or cut into ¾ pieces
- 2 qt chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups tomatoes peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 ears corn with kernels removed
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- ¼ cup parsley fresh, chopped, packed
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed stock pot over med-low heat.
- Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and sweat them until they begin to soften, approx. 7-8 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, increase the heat to high, bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until vegetables are fork tender, approx. 25-30min.
- Remove from heat and add parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with kosher salt. Serve immediately.
Amount per serving --- calories 216 total fat 9g 11% saturated fat 1.5g 7% cholesterol 0mg 0% sodium 832mg 36% total carbohydrates 28g 10% dietary fiber 5g 17% total sugars 8g protein 9g --- calcium 65mg 5% iron 2mg 11% potassium 771mg 16%