Cheddar Jalapeño Dutch Oven Bread
- 3 ½ cups bread flour plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 2 jalapeños seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeños sliced into rings, divided
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ½ tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups cheese, chopped jalapeños, and salt. Stir well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Pour the flour mixture on top of the water and use a silicone spatula to stir until the dough comes together.
- With the spatula, fold the dough around the edge of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl each time, folding a total of 8 times. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for 60 min, or until almost double in size.
- Using the spatula, fold the dough towards the center again 8 more times. Cover with the towel and let rest for 30 min.
- Place the Dutch oven and lid in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees for 30 min.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and your hands. Carefully peel the dough out of the bowl and onto the floured surface. Flip over and carefully brush away excess flour. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center 8 times, then flip over the dough and transfer to a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil so the cheese will stick. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese on top. Use a sharp knife to score the bread with an X, to allow steam to escape. Arrange the jalapeño rings on top of the cheese.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and use the parchment to lift the bread into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 min, then remove the lid and bake for 20 more min, until the bread is golden brown.
- Carefully slide the bread out of the pot and onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper and let the bread cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice and serve as desired.
Amount per serving --- calories 362 total fat 14g 18% saturated fat 8g 39% cholesterol 37mg 12% sodium 1095mg 48% total carbohydrates 43g 16% dietary fiber 2g 7% total sugars 0.5g protein 15g --- vitamin D 4mcg 21% calcium 266mg 20% iron 3mg 17% potassium 130mg 3%