Three Sisters Salad
ᏎᎷ (she-lu) corn, ᏚᏯ (tu-ya) beans, and ᏩᎩᎦ (wa-gi-ga) squash are the three main ingredients that make up this version of Three Sisters salad. This low-sodium recipe also provides calcium, potassium, protein, iron and fiber. Three Sisters Salad is a perfect crowd-pleasing side dish to bring to pot lucks, family get-togethers, weekend barbeques or a just a healthy lunch at home.Looking for a protein to serve with the salad? Try this recipe for Pan-Seared Walleye.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 cup yellow squash chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper chopped
- In a small sauce pan, mix ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup vinegar, 2Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Heat until hot but NOT boiling. Remove from heat
- In a large bowl, mix 2 corn, beans, zucchini, squash, onion and green pepper
- Pour cooled dressing mixture over vegetables and toss. Chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
Amount per serving --- calories 93 total fat 3.8g 5% saturated fat 0.5g 3% cholesterol 0mg 0% sodium 96mg 4% total carbohydrates 13.3g 5% dietary fiber 2.3g 8% total sugars 7.5g protein 2.3g --- calcium 22mg 2% iron 1mg 5% potassium 196mg 4%